June E. Clarke, PhD, MBA, CHE, CHIA
Department of Management
Hospitality and Tourism Management
Delaware State University
jeclarke [at] desu.edu
PhD in Human Sciences (2013)
Emphasis: Hotel & Restaurant Administration
Oklahoma State University (OSU) - Stillwater, Oklahoma
Dissertation: Applying the Theory of Planned Behavior to Explain Hotel Employers Intentions to offer Internships in Jamaica.
Advisor – David Njite Ph.D
Post Graduate Diploma in Education & Training (2007)
Human Employment & Resource Training (H.E.A.R.T)
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Master of Business Administration (MBA) 2004
Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Bachelor of Science (BSc) 1998
Florida International University, Miami, FL
Associate of Science (A.S) 1995
Hotel & Restaurant Management
Associate of Arts (A.A) 1995
Culinary Arts Technology
Hocking Technical College, Nelsonville, OH
- Hospitality Education and Training
- Experiential Learning -Internship
- Students’ Engagement and Learning
- Culinary Tourism
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Consortium
- Assistant Treasurer
- HBCU Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism co-editor and reviewer
- Member of the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE)
- Editorial Review Board/Reviewer
- Clarke, June E., Robinson, O., Mayo, C. (2018). Trouble in Hotel Paradise Housekeeping Department: A Case Study. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Cases, 7(1), 34-41.
- Clarke, June E., Mayo, C., Bryant, B., & Awadzi, C. (2018). Engagement in Learning: An Investigation in Online Engagement Strategies, College Students’ Perspectives. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 21(1), 32-47.
- Clarke, June E., Cornwall, C., & Williams-Bryant, D. (2017, May). Using competency-based education and training (CBET) to transition and matriculate students into advanced studies: A case of western hospitality institute (WHI). Special Issue: Journal of Educational and Development in the Caribbean, 16(1). 70-88.
- Clarke, June. E., & Njite, D. (2017, May). Applying the theory of planned behavior to examine hotel managers’ intentions to offer internship to TVET Students: A qualitative inquiry. Special Issue: Journal of Education and Development in the Caribbean, 16(1). 109-137.
- Clarke, June E., Mayo, C., & Cornwall. C. (2017). A case study analysis on the competitiveness of small lodging operations in Jamaica. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Cases, 5(3), 71-82.
- Clarke, J., Mayo, C., & Still, M. (2016). Providing education and training in hospitality and tourism management under challenging conditions and against educational traditions and bureaucracies: A case study of western hospitality institute (WHI). Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Cases, 4(4), 19-30.
- Clarke, June E., & Njite, D. (2016). Applying the theory of planned behavior to explain hotel managers’ intentions to offer internships in Jamaica: A qualitative inquiry. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 20(2), 1-31.
- Tucker, Erinn D., & Clarke, June E. (2014). Using Twitter for student engagement and skill learning in a hospi-tality human resources management course. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 19(1), 1-21.
Honors & Awards
- International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE), best reviewer award for the 2016 ICHRIE Case Study Competition.
- Food Production Management (lab and theory)
- Sanitation and Safety
- Lodging Operations
- Independent Study
- Introduction to Tourism Concepts (online/face to face)
- Supervision in Hospitality and Tourism
- Catering Management
- Internship I & II
- Club Management/Bar & Beverage Operations
- Restaurant management (lab and theory)
- Conduct workshops and certification training in courses such as
- Servsafe Manager Industry Certification
- Certified Hospitality Instructor (CHS) Industry Certification